Immersive Headset Pilot
What is the Immersive Headset Pilot?
The Immersive Headset Pilot offers students the opportunity to explore real and imagined places and interact in shared environments across distance through powerful virtual reality (VR) hardware.
This pilot offering leverages the Meta Quest 2 headset kits, allowing users to experience untethered (no PC required) VR experiences like apps and games as well as innovate 360º experiences in the form of immersive video storytelling and place-based tours.
How have immersive headsets been used?
Is my project a good fit for the Immersive Headset Pilot?
Immersive headsets are particularly useful when students will be:
- engaging with longer form or information-rich 360º video
- interacting with complex virtual worlds
- creating within a virtual reality tool (such as Multi Brush)
- working within a class activity that can be completed individually or in pairs
Immersive Headset Pilot devices (Meta Quest 2) are not the best option when:
- students will be working in limited classroom time or on a tight schedule*
- students are working in larger groups
- students will be using apps that allow access to profile information*
* Meta Quest 2 headsets require individual accounts, in some cases
To ensure you have a successful experience, our team recommends:
- letting students know early-on that they will be using Immersive Headset Pilot devices for class activities
- polling students early to find out who will need additional accommodation for creating necessary individual accounts
- scheduling training sessions with students (the set up and operation of devices is pretty simple but may be new to students)
About Pilot Devices
As of the start of the Immersive Headset Pilot the device pool consists of Meta Quest 2 headsets. These are standalone headsets that do not require a connection to a high end PC to offer virtual reality experiences with advanced, immersive features like motion tracking. Headsets are provided with protective cases, sanitizable face shields and Elite straps.
While useful for virtual reality apps, the Meta Quest 2 also offers a superior 360º video viewing experience for users. With a high resolution display and built in speakers, YouTube VR and other video app content looks and sounds rich and lifelike, upping immersion for viewers.
We have enough devices for small and medium classes that are available to loan during the semester.
Paid apps may require additional planning for distribution owing to Penn State purchasing procedures and Meta account restrictions.
IMEX Lab Tutorials
Summer + Fall 2024 Pilots Now Open
The Immersive Headset Pilot is accepting applications to join its cohort of faculty participants. We would love to hear your ideas for ways to engage your students with immersive content and our Meta Quest 2 devices. Please take a few moments to complete the Form for Submissions where you can let us know the details of what you’d like to accomplish. We’ll get back in touch to help clarify the specifics and determine if our pilot is a good fit for your goals. We look forward to seeing your application.